Safer Alternatives: De-Gunking the Public "Kitchen Sink"
Greetings to you today!
If you have seen BFLI’s consumer awareness presentation, you know we're on a mission to get the gunk out from under your kitchen sink.
Today, I'm thinking about the public arena- where legislation can be effective.
So, why not Twitter your friends what you are doing right now as you read this! It’s really cool to make the world a better place!
Let’s take a moment to define “Safer Alternatives.” A safer alternative simply means that if a chemical or cleaner is toxic to people, and if there is a safer and economical alternative that will equivalently do the job, companies should use the safer alternative. Doesn’t that make sense?
Priority goes to the really nasty stuff first- like getting PERC out of the dry cleaning industry because safer alternatives are readily available.
If a company doesn’t know if safer alternatives exist, it’s relatively easy to find out if one does exist through University of Massachusetts. Lowell’s TURI (Toxic Use Reduction Institute’s) chemical solutions website – a true wealth of information for consumers and industry.
After examining the Massachusetts "Safer Alternatives" bill in detail, both pros and cons,
I recommend supporting this type of legislation.
So if you are ready to get the public “kitchen sink” cleaned out:
1. Find your state and national representatives by clicking here.
Now how easy was that!! You’ve now found everyone who represents you!
2. Next step: Click a rep's name.
3. Please write your reps an email saying, “I’d like to be protected by legislation that asks companies to use safer alternatives to toxic substances when possible and when economical. Please support this type of legislation.”
You have my permission to plagiarize, so please cut and paste now, 'cause if you are like me I'll make it too complicated and it won’t get done! So, KIS!
4. If you have time, click another name.
5. Then, put on your laurels! Tell your friends on Facebook, Twitter, Linked-In, Plaxo, My Space, etc!
Done! Have a fabulous day!
Thanks so much and please remember, I'm right here to help you with your safer home or office environment and providing recommendations for a healthier, dynamic lifestyle.
Yes, some of you are like me, right? I prefer reading everything I support.
OK, here are the launch sites of my research:
Want to know more about the Safer Alternative movement on several issues?
- Clean Water Action has good national and state by state information on water quality.
- The Alliance for a Healthier Tomorrow was my jumping off point for the MA legislation.
- U.S. Public Interest Research Groups (US PIRG) advises many state’s legislation on water, toys, chemicals, and more.
Do you want to read about some local bills?
- In Massachusetts, the bill is Senate, No. 2481
- In Illinois, HB3792 was just introduced. I have not yet read the bill.
- The US Congressional action's bill is H.R. 5577, the Chemical Facility Anti-Terrorism Act of 2008.
Enjoy the read, or just go back to the top and write your reps if it's easier.
Whatever you choose, truly, thanks so much for reading, and please remember, I'm right here to help you with your safer home or office environment and providing recommendations for a healthier, dynamic lifestyle.